The How to setup APA formatting in Word 2016
Instructions to format an APA paper in Word 2016:
- APA format requires certain formatting that is font. To start, open a document that is new Word and make sure the Home tab is selected. Within the Font Group, s et your font to Times New Roman, size 12 pt.
- Next, within the Home tab, seek out the Paragraph group, and click on the bottom hand arrow that is right. Once the Paragraph dialog box appears, replace the settings to Double line spacing and make certain to set the before and after spacing to 0pt. Close the window.
- To start out setting up your title page, pick the Center paragraph alignment located in the Paragraph group in the true home tab.
- Now type the title of the paper,and hit Enter in the keyboard to go towards the next line. Next, type your name, hit Enter on the keyboard again, and type “NWTC” (or “Northeast Wisconsin Technical College”) all entries must be on separate lines.
- The title page information should down be farther the page. Position the insertion point/cursor before the start of the title. Press Enter a few times to position the text in the top third of this page. It must not be any lower than halfway down the page.
- To begin the page that is second position the insertion point/cursor at the conclusion of the term “College” (or after “NWTC”). Click the Insert tab and find the Pages group, then Page Break. Click on thePage Break button to go into the line that is first of 2. Then, type the title of your essay and press Enter.
- To create the sentence that is first of essay, get back to the Paragraph group regarding the Home tab, and set the written text to left-align.
- Press Tab once (on the keyboard) to indent the first paragraph, and begin typing.
- You will be now prepared to set the header up. Scroll back as much as the top of the document, and double-click anywhere in the blank area at the top the page. This will open the header. It selects the Design tab for you personally. Look to the Options group, then check the “Different First Page” box. Repeat this before you type anything when you look at the header.
To include your page numbers, click on the Design tab
- Then find the Page Number option, choose “Top of Page”, and then choose “Plain Number 1”. (in the event that you simply type a number, that number will likely to be on each page.)
- Now, type the written text head that is“Running and also the title of your essay. Be sure to place the title associated with the essay in every CAPS, and do not capitalize “head”.
- Press the Tab key twice to move the page number over to the right margin. (HINT: In headers and footers, the tab moves that are key three position, left justified, center justified, and right justified)
- Now, scroll down unless you look at header space for page 2. Insert the page number using the exact process that is same in steps 9, 10, and 11 above. The actual only real difference is that this page will likely not require the words “Running head.” Just type the title of your essay in most CAPS.
- You have now finished setting up your document in APA format. Double-click anywhere in the main body of the document to close the header view (or click on the Close Header and Footer button). Head to page 2 to keep typing your essay. We strongly recommend that as of this true point you “Save As” your paper to preserve all of the formatting just done.
- When you have completed your paper, you will need to include a page that is separate the end for the References.